Until Great Britain leaves the European Union, your laws will not change.
Every EU citizen permanently residing in Great Britain will have to register in the electronic system and obtain the so-called settled status. This obligation will apply to all non-British citizens, regardless of their current status, including residents.
The UK’s negotiations with the European Union finally ended on October 19, 2019 with the political approval of both parties to the Exit Agreement. The following information is based on the Agreement and Home Office explanations:
- The stay legalization system, intended for all user groups, was launched at the end of March 2019. You will have until the end of June 2021 to register in the system.
- Only people who have settled in the UK before 31 December 2020 can apply in the settlement system.
- The system is managed by the UK Home Office. Embassies of European Union countries (including Poland) will not be involved in this process.
- We suggest you submit your applications as soon as possible. This will give you time to appeal, if any, if your status is refused.
- The condition for obtaining the new settled status will be at least 5 years of residence in the UK at the time of submitting the application.
- Pre-settled status will be granted to all those who have been in the UK for less than 5 years. Upon reaching the required 5 years, you will need to re-register to obtain permanent settled status.
- Submitting an appropriate application is free of charge.
- EU citizens who obtained the permanent resident status (and obtained the Permanent Residence Card) before the UK left the EU, also need to register in the system.
- The British government has announced that EU citizens who started their studies in the UK before leaving the EU will be covered by the current rules, also in terms of tuition fees.
- If you obtain settled status, you will retain most of your current rights (including the ability to work without a permit, access to social benefits, education, and running a business). Those who will have to wait until they reach 5 years of residence to apply for settled status will also retain their rights.
Additional sources of information:
The British Home Office has launched a website with information for EU citizens in connection with Brexit (people interested in receiving up-to-date information can register their email address there).
Information and guidance on the settlement system is also available in Polish on the UK government website.
The European Commission maintains a website where you can find out more and find out more.